Anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) tears are a common injury among athletes and weekend warriors who are injured during play and recreational activities. Each year there are approximately 200,000 ACL injuries diagnosed in the United States. Women are more likely to be diagnosed than men with an ACL tear and therefore, injury prevention is imperative for female athletes. ACL tears often limit an athlete’s ability to return to sport which is why it important for physical therapists to understand the mechanism of injury, surgical technique and rehabilitation process in order to best treat this patient population. This course will provide information for physical therapists to better serve their patients with an ACL injury through the entire duration of care; from time of injury to return to sport following surgery, in addition to ACL injury prevention strategies.
Upon completion of this course, you will be able to learn:
- Describe the anatomy associated with an ACL tear/injury and surgical repair/rehabilitation.
- Describe ACL injury prevention interventions and strategies.
- Describe the ways an ACL injury can occur.
- Describe differential diagnosis of an ACL tear/injury.
- Describe pre-operative ACL rehabilitation and non-operative treatment of ACL tears.
- Describe surgical repair of an ACL tear.
- Develop a post-operative rehabilitative protocol following an ACL repair based on research including return to sport criteria and testing.
- Define ACL loading that occurs during non-weight bearing and weight-bearing exercises that are performed during typical post-operative rehabilitation.
- Describe the use of PRP and mesenchymal stem cells for ACL injury treatment.
- Describe the importance of restoring knee range of motion and bi-articular muscle extensibility.
- Describe surgical outcomes following an ACL repair and long term prognosis.
- Describe functional knee braces used following ACL reconstruction for return to play.
Author: Lisa Augustyn, PT, DPT
Contact Hours : 5 Hours / 5 PDR
Cost: $40 / Participant
Teaching Method : Online Independent Self-Study (Training + Post-Test)
Target Audience: Physical Therapists & Physical Therapy Assistants
Course Completion Certificate : A Printable (pdf) Certificate By Email
Cancellation / Refund Policy: By completing your purchase from Biologix Solutions LLC, you agree that you are purchasing digital, non-tangible product / service / training courses, and as such are not entitled to a refund once accessed. If you have any questions, please feel to contact us by phone or email before purchasing online course.
Approvals: State Board of Physical Therapy & American Physical Therapy Association (APTA) State Chapters Approved. Please visit accreditation section for fill list: Click Here