Dysphagia is a commonly encountered problem affecting one in 17 people in their lifetime. Dysphagia is an alarming symptom that warrants prompt evaluation to define the exact cause and initiate appropriate therapy. This continuing education course highlights evaluation through history and examination when a patient presents with dysphagia, preliminary investigations, and how these inform onward referral and management.
Upon completion of this course, participant will be able to:
- Discuss the incidence and prevalence of dysphagia is among older individuals.
- Identify the etiology of oropharyngeal and esophageal dysphagia.
- Discuss the causes and factors associated with dysphagia.
- Describe the sign, symptoms and clinical presentation of dysphagia in the context of clinical indicators.
- Describe clinical approaches for the diagnosis of dysphagia.
- Review the screening procedure to determine the likelihood that dysphagia exists and the need for further swallowing assessment.
- Discuss the comprehensive assessment that includes non-instrumental and instrumental procedures.
- Discuss Speech-language pathologists’ role in the assessment and management of individuals with swallowing disorders.
- Outline current management options used in dysphagia.
- Review the interprofessional team strategies for improving care coordination and outcomes in patients with dysphagia.
- Treatment considerations related to progressive disorders and end-of-life issues.
Contact Hours : 4 Hours
Course Fee: $20 / Participant
Author: Stephanie Morales, M.S., CCC-SLP
- Speech-Language Pathologist (Clinically Related – Speech-Language Pathology)
- Speech-Language Assistants (Clinically Related – Speech-Language Pathology)
- Occupational Therapy (OTs and OTAs)
- All Nursing Healthcare Professionals
Instructional Methods: Online Independent Self-Study (Training + Post-Test). A minimum passing score of 70% is required for course completion. A Printable (Pdf) Certificate By Email.
Cancellation / Refund Policy: By completing your purchase from Biologix Solutions LLC through PayPal, you agree that you are purchasing digital, non-tangible product / service / training courses, and as such are not entitled to a refund once accessed. If you have any questions, please feel to contact us by phone or email before purchasing online course.
Approvals: Biologix Solutions LLC is a nationally approved provider of online continuing education and state mandated compliance training for healthcare (Dental, Pharmacy, Nursing, Physical Therapy, Occupational Therapy, Massage Therapy, Speech-Language Pathologist, and Body Art Professionals), and non-healthcare professionals needing to fulfill their mandatory training and continuing education hours to obtain or maintain state/local license. Please visit our approval sections (Click Here) for the full list of approvals across all disciplines.