Florida Department of Health Approved – Click Here
Annual Refresher Course (Not an Initial Course)
Proof of Initial Certification Requirements: Click Here Must Provide Initial Certification to take Annual Refresher Course. Student Verification System – Guidelines
Florida Body Piercer Annual Refresher Bloodborne Pathogens Training Requirements: Every Year After completing this course, participants should be able to:
- Understand the purpose of OSHA Bloodborne Pathogens Standard & Florida Body Piercing Act, how it applies to the body piercing salons, and the need for bloodborne pathogens & infection control training for piercing artists.
- Know the minimum sanitary and safety requirements related to the design and operation of body piercing salons and temporary establishments, as those terms are defined in Section 381.0075(2), F.S. Body piercing salons shall also comply with Section 381.0075, F.S., and Chapter 64E-16, F.A.C.
- Understand how cross contamination and contact transmission occurs in shops.
- Identify common bloodborne pathogens, their path of transmissions, and symptoms of the disease.
- Know the standard precautions and available PPEs to prevent transmission of Bloodborne Pathogens & Common Skin Infections.
- Know the basics of infection control, sterilization, autoclave, and aseptic techniques used to sterilize jewelry & instruments in piercing shops.
- Know the steps to take following an exposure incident.
- Understand biomedical waste disposable requirements in the State of Florida.
You must provide proof of completion of the Initial Course prior to taking the Refresher Course. In Florida, operators and piercers, as defined in section 381.0075, Florida Statutes, and Chapter 64E-19.002, Florida Administrative Code, respectively, are required to complete an Initial Formal Training Course prior to licensure of a body piercing salon or practicing body piercing in Florida.
Annually thereafter, operators and piercers may complete an Initial Formal Training Course or a Refresher Course. Please note, an Initial Formal Training Course must be completed prior to completing a Refresher Course in accordance with section 64E-19.007, Florida Administrative Code.