This course provides customized body art industry specific training as mandated by OSHA’s Bloodborne Pathogens Standard (29CFR 1910.1030). This course work is designed by an experienced professional working with body art industry and public health. Material covered in this comprehensive course includes body art industry specific information on Prevention of transmission of bloodborne pathogens and other contagious diseases.
Upon completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Understand the purpose of OSHA Bloodborne Pathogens Standard, how it applies to the body art industry, and need for bloodborne pathogens & infection control training for tattooing, piercing artists and permanent makeup artists.
- Medical/health issues associated with body art industry.
- How cross contamination and contact transmission occurs in shops.
- Bloodborne pathogens (HIV, Hepatitis B virus, Hepatitis C virus) & selected communicable diseases (Hepatitis A, Staphylococcus auerus infections, including MRSA, Tuberculosis, Impetigo, Scabies, Ringworm, Molluscum Contagiosum, Herpes Simplex, and Herpes Zoster)
- Identification of the disease
- Description of the infectious agent
- Mode of transmission
- Incubation period
- Period of communicability
- Prevention of transmission in the tattoo establishment
- Know the minimum operational requirements (sanitary and safety requirements) related to the design and operation of tattoo establishments, and temporary establishments.
- Know the Standard Precautions and available PPE to prevent transmission of bloodborne pathogens & common skin infections.
- Know the basics of infection control, sterilization by autoclave, and aseptic techniques used to prevent disease transmission in the tattoo establishments.
- Know the steps to take following an exposure incident.
Curse Format: Online Independent Self-Study Course (Need Computer & Internet).
Contact Hours: 3 Hours (Minimum 2 Hours)
Course Completion Certificate: Printable (PDF) Certificate via email.
- Alabama Department of Public Health
- Alaska Board of Barbers & Hairdressers – approval
- Arkansas Department of Public Health
- California Counties Approvals – Approved by all Major Counties in California, including Los Angeles County Department of Public Health- For Full List Click Here
- Denver Department of Public Health
- Florida Department of Health (Tattoo & Annual Body Piercers)
- Oregon Health Licensing Agency – 2011-06T (4CE for Tattoo)
- South Carolina Department of Health & Env. Control approved
- Minnesota Department of Health approval
- Iowa Department of Health Recognized Provider
- Philadelphia Department of Public Health Approved
- Washington State Department of Licensing Recognized Provider
- Louisiana Dept of Public Health – Food & Drug Unit approval
- Hawaii Department of Health approval
All Other States: Many States & Local Health Departments or Licensing Agencies do not endorse or approve bloodborne pathogen classes or trainers but accept Nationally accredited courses that meet OSHA requirements. Our course is accepted by Alaska, Alabama, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Hawaii, Georgia, Idaho, Iowa, Illinois, Kentucky, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Maryland, Michigan, Montana, Mississippi, Missouri, New Hampshire, North Dakota, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, New York (Except New York City-classroom course required), North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, and West Virginia.