The use of multiple prescription drugs is increasing, particularly in the increasing aging population. Prescription drugs may lead to the depletion of key nutrients. The major risk factors for developing drug-induced nutrient depletion are lack of awareness by the prescribing physician and long duration of drug therapy. Patients with these risk factors should be targeted for interventions to prevent drug induced nutrient depletion.
Upon completion of this course, pharmacists and pharmacy technicians will be able to:
- Identify risk factors for nutrient deficiencies.
- Discuss the prevalence of nutrient deficiencies.
- Describe mechanisms of drug-induced nutrient depletion.
- List nutrients that may be depleted by acid blockers.
- Describe who is at risk for proton pump inhibitor-related hypomagnesemia.
- List nutrients that may be depleted by antibiotics.
- Describe which antibiotics are most like to cause vitamin K depletion.
- Describe why vitamin D supplements are needed for patients who take anticonvulsants.
- List minerals that may be depleted by diuretics.
- Identify foods that are rich sources of magnesium.
- List symptoms of magnesium deficiency.
- Describe the clinical significance of estrogen effects on B vitamins.
- Explain how salicylates may affect vitamin C.
- List the nutrients that can be affected by the use of corticosteroids.
- Explain why coenzyme Q10 may be effective for treating or preventing statin-related muscle side effects.
Authors: Gregory Phillip, Pharm. D
Contact Hours: 3 Hours
Activity Type: Knowledge-Based Home Study
Instructional Methods: Online Independent Self-Study (Training + Post-Test)
Target Audience: Pharmacists & Pharmacy Technicians
Cost: $15 / Participant
UAN: Pharmacist: 0384-9999-19-109-H01-P Technicians: 0384-9999-19-109-H01-T
Release Date: 07/01/2019 Expiration Date: 07/01/2022
Course Completion Certificate: A minimum passing score of 70% is required for course completion. A Printable (PDF) Certificate By Email. Credit will be reported to CPE monitor within 30 days of completion.
National Pharmacy Technician Association (NPTA) is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education as a provider of continuing education.
Biologix Solutions LLC is approved as a Joint Provider of continuing pharmacy education by NPTA. Approval
Disclaimers: Mr. Phillip has no actual or potential conflict of interest in relation to this program. This program received no commercial support and has been peer-reviewed to ensure non-commercialization.
Cancellation / Refund Policy: By completing your purchase from Biologix Solutions LLC through PayPal, you agree that you are purchasing digital, non-tangible product / service / training courses, and as such are not entitled to a refund once accessed. If you have any questions, please feel to contact us by phone or email before purchasing online course.