In this course, we will examine the reasons why geriatric patients require special medication precautions, discuss the available tools for medication review designed to reduce inappropriate and polypharmacy prescribing practices, explore methods to prevent drug related problems in older adults, and consider some recommendations we can pass on to seniors to improve their medication use.
Upon completion of this course, participant will be able to:
- Recognize the reasons why the elderly population requires special medication precautions.
- Identify the potential drug related problems with medications prescribed to the elderly.
- Define prescribing cascade and learn to detect it to prevent medication problems in older people.
Describe the IGRIMUP and their role in the global effort to reduce inappropriate and polypharmacy prescribing practices in older adults.
- List the tools available to identify pharmacotherapy problems to modify and improve a drug regimen for older adults.
- Review the Beers Criteria and the rationale for use in preventing Potentially Inappropriate Medications (PIM) and other drugs to avoid in older persons.
- Explain the STOPP/START criteria and how it helps minimize potentially inappropriate prescribing in the elderly.
- Examine the reasoning behind Deprescribing and why it is an essential element of good prescribing practices.
Evaluate the Medication Appropriateness Index (MAI) and its reliability as a quality measure for potentially inappropriate prescribing.
- Describe the ARMOR protocol along with its primary outcome goals, the functional status and mobility of elderly patients.
- Recognize the Good Palliative-Geriatric Practice Algorithm and how physicians use it to reduce polypharmacy.
- Recognize the FORTA method, a clinical tool designed to increase appropriateness of pharmacotherapy in older adults.
Identify other supportive tools such as the Anticholinergic Risk Scale, Prescribing Optimization Method and the Drug Burden Index used to resolve polypharmacy, potentially inappropriate medications and potentially omitted drugs.
- Discuss the effect a CMR conducted by a pharmacist and healthcare providers can make in decreasing medication related complications for the elderly.
- Categorize recommendations to give seniors on how to manage their medications safely to avoid drug related problems.
Describe methods to prevent drug related problems, before prescribing and after prescribing medication for older adults.
Contact Hours : 4 Hours
Course Fee: $20 / Participant
Author: Elvia Sellountos, Pharm D, RPh.
Target Audience: Nursing Healthcare Professionals
Instructional Methods: Online Independent Self-Study (Training + Post-Test). A minimum passing score of 70% is required for course completion. A Printable (Pdf) Certificate By Email.
Cancellation / Refund Policy: By completing your purchase from Biologix Solutions LLC through PayPal, you agree that you are purchasing digital, non-tangible product / service / training courses, and as such are not entitled to a refund once accessed. If you have any questions, please feel to contact us by phone or email before purchasing online course.
Approvals: Biologix Solutions LLC is a nationally approved provider of online continuing education and state mandated compliance training for healthcare (Dental, Pharmacy, Nursing, Physical Therapy, Occupational Therapy, Massage Therapy, and Body Art Professionals), and non-healthcare professionals needing to fulfill their mandatory training and continuing education hours to obtain or maintain state/local license. Please visit our approval sections (Click Here) for the full list of approvals across all disciplines.