This course will provide an overview of the pathophysiologic changes and symptoms associated with menopause, the role of estrogen and progesterone in the body, available agents used in hormone replacement therapy as well as nonhormonal options, and the evidence-based risks and benefits of HRT alongside considerations in initiation or discontinuation.
Upon completion of this course (Migraine Headache Treatment and Management), pharmacists and pharmacy technicians will be able to:
- Discuss symptoms of menopause, including their prevalence and indications for HRT.
- Define menopause, perimenopause, and the stage/age in life that women are most susceptible to symptoms.
- Describe the hormonal cascade; understanding the glandular origins of hormones and the physiologic impacts that deficiencies may impose.
- Review the pathophysiologic changes associated with menopause.
- Assess a patient for HRT candidacy, considering risk factors, warnings, comorbidities, side effects, and patient preference in therapy selection.
- Consider the proposed “Timing Hypothesis” in initiation or discontinuation of HRT.
- Categorize hormonal options into treatment of vasomotor versus genitourinary symptom management, as well as systemic versus topical therapies.
- List hormonal agents in HRT and distinguish between those appropriate for women with intact uteri (combination products) and those for women with a hysterectomies (estrogen-only products); recognize the importance of adding progestogen to an HRT regimen when the patient has an intact uterus.
- Identify available formulation types of estrogen-only and combination hormonal products; be able to recommend individualized therapy based on patient preference and lifestyle.
- Communicate key counseling points regarding application of patches and topical gels to a patient.
- List nonhormonal medications for treatment of menopausal symptom.
- Describe custom compounds and why they are not preferred as first-line treatments.
- Review landmark studies investigating HRT, findings, and implications in current clinical practice.
Author: Alyssa Yousif, PharmD
Contact Hours: 3 Hours
Activity Type: Knowledge-Based Home Study
Instructional Methods: Online Independent Self-Study (Training + Post-Test)
Target Audience: Pharmacists & Pharmacy Technicians
Cost: $20 / Participant
UAN: Pharmacist: 0384-9999-22-706-H01-P Technicians: 0384-9999-22-706-H01-T
Release Date: 03/30/2022 Expiration Date: 03/30/2025
Course Completion Certificate: A minimum passing score of 70% is required for course completion. A Printable (PDF) Certificate By Email. Credit will be reported to CPE monitor within 30 days of completion.
National Pharmacy Technician Association (NPTA) is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education as a provider of continuing education.
Biologix Solutions LLC is approved as a Joint Provider of continuing pharmacy education by NPTA. Approval
Disclaimers: Elvia Sellountos has no actual or potential conflict of interest in relation to this program. This program received no commercial support and has been peer-reviewed to ensure non-commercialization.
Cancellation / Refund Policy: By completing your purchase from Biologix Solutions LLC through PayPal, you agree that you are purchasing digital, non-tangible product / service / training courses, and as such are not entitled to a refund once accessed. If you have any questions, please feel to contact us by phone or email before purchasing online course.