Health care practitioners are in a unique position to intervene in human trafficking, one of the most insidious and seemingly invisible public health challenges. This includes both labor and sex trafficking, and may involve people of any age, gender, race/ethnicity, nationality, immigration status, or sexual orientation. Victims and survivors of human trafficking may be seen at local clinics, emergency departments, or other medical settings and the health care team’s actions at that moment can make a life-saving difference. This training (Human Trafficking for Texas Health Professionals) is meant to provide you with a variety of resources to inform and support planning for that critical response.
Upon completion of this course (Human Trafficking for Texas Health Professionals), you will be able to:
- Define human trafficking.
- Identify the forms of human trafficking.
- Recognize factors associated with greater risk of being a victim of human trafficking.
- Identify indicators that contribute to human trafficking.
- Identify risk factors and behavioral indicators for labor trafficking.
- Identify risk factors and behavioral indicators for sex trafficking.
- Identify a victim of human trafficking in a healthcare setting.
- Explain the psychological, health, and social consequences of human trafficking.
- Interviewing strategies to assess and identify victims and promote the ethical treatment of trafficking victims.
- Describes procedures for sharing information related to human trafficking with a patient.
- Describe various educational, prevention, mental health, legal, and social services interventions and responses targeted to human trafficking victims.
- Appropriately report victims of human trafficking.
Approved By: The Texas Health and Human Services Commission (Texas HHSC Approval)
Format: 100% Online Independent Self-Study (Training + Post-Test, No Audio/Video). A minimum passing score of 70% is required for course completion. A Printable (pdf) Certificate By Email.
Board of Nursing
- Advanced Practice Registered Nurses
- Registered Nurses
- Licensed Vocational Nurses
State Board of Pharmacy
- Pharmacy Technicians
State Board of Dental Examiners
- Dental Assistants
- Dental Hygienists
Board of Physical Therapy Examiners
- Physical Therapists
- Physical Therapist Assistants
Board of Occupational Therapy Examiners
- Occupational Therapists
- Occupational Therapy Assistants
Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation
- Massage Therapists
- Retired Midwives
All other healthcare licensees: Non CE Certificate of Completion: 2 hours