The purpose of this module is to expand the healthcare providers knowledge of the pathophysiology, risk factors, clinical manifestations, diagnosis, management, and complications related to thyroid dysfunction based on the most recent practice guidelines and up-to-date research.
Upon completion of this course, participant will be able to:
- Describe the functional role of the thyroid gland and its secreted hormones in homeostasis
- Discuss the treatment options available in hypo- and hyperthyroidism, including combination products, sources, available formulations, cautions, and side effects.
- Review the pathophysiology of hypo- and hyperthyroidism and goals of treatment
- Recognize the most common causes of thyroid disorders
- Identify proper thyroid function tests and corresponding levels for diagnosis of hypo- and hyperthyroidism
- Consider dosage adjustments in thyroid supplementation requirements at different life stages, such as pregnancy or older age
- List the clinical and subclinical signs and symptoms of hypo- and hypothyroidism; identify those that constitute a medical emergency
- List the clinical benefits of levothyroxine
- Review therapeutic equivalents for levothyroxine preparations and the importance of maintaining brand/generic consistency
- Recognize the array of drug interactions with levothyroxine use
- Define agranulocytosis; acknowledge risk with thionamide use and review presentation signs
- Describe thyroid storm in hyperthyroidism, including causes and preferred treatment
Contact Hours : 2 Hours
Course Fee: $10 / Participant
Author: Alyssa Yousif, PharmD
Target Audience: Nursing Healthcare Professionals
Instructional Methods: Online Independent Self-Study (Training + Post-Test). A minimum passing score of 70% is required for course completion. A Printable (Pdf) Certificate By Email.
Cancellation / Refund Policy: By completing your purchase from Biologix Solutions LLC through PayPal, you agree that you are purchasing digital, non-tangible product / service / training courses, and as such are not entitled to a refund once accessed. If you have any questions, please feel to contact us by phone or email before purchasing online course.
Approvals: Biologix Solutions LLC is a nationally approved provider of online continuing education and state mandated compliance training for healthcare (Dental, Pharmacy, Nursing, Physical Therapy, Occupational Therapy, Massage Therapy, and Body Art Professionals), and non-healthcare professionals needing to fulfill their mandatory training and continuing education hours to obtain or maintain state/local license. Please visit our approval sections (Click Here) for the full list of approvals across all disciplines.