The purpose of this module is to expand the healthcare providers knowledge of the pathophysiology, risk factors, clinical manifestations, diagnosis, management, and complications related to thyroid dysfunction based on the most recent practice guidelines and up-to-date research.
Upon completion of this course (Management of Thyroid Disorders), pharmacists and pharmacy technicians will be able to:
- Describe the functional role of the thyroid gland and its secreted hormones in homeostasis
- Discuss the treatment options available in hypo- and hyperthyroidism, including combination products, sources, available formulations, cautions, and side effects.
- Review the pathophysiology of hypo- and hyperthyroidism and goals of treatment
- Recognize the most common causes of thyroid disorders
- Identify proper thyroid function tests and corresponding levels for diagnosis of hypo- and hyperthyroidism
- Consider dosage adjustments in thyroid supplementation requirements at different life stages, such as pregnancy or older age
- List the clinical and subclinical signs and symptoms of hypo- and hypothyroidism; identify those that constitute a medical emergency
- List the clinical benefits of levothyroxine
- Review therapeutic equivalents for levothyroxine preparations and the importance of maintaining brand/generic consistency
- Recognize the array of drug interactions with levothyroxine use
- Define agranulocytosis; acknowledge risk with thionamide use and review presentation signs
- Describe thyroid storm in hyperthyroidism, including causes and preferred treatment
Author: Alyssa Yousif, PharmD
Contact Hours: 2 Hours
Activity Type: Knowledge-Based Home Study
Instructional Methods: Online Independent Self-Study (Training + Post-Test)
Target Audience: Pharmacists & Pharmacy Technicians
Cost: $15 / Participant
UAN: Pharmacist: 0384-9999-22-003-H01-P Technicians: 0384-9999-22-003-H01-T
Release Date: 06/17/2022 Expiration Date: 06/17/2025
Course Completion Certificate: A minimum passing score of 70% is required for course completion. A Printable (PDF) Certificate By Email. Credit will be reported to CPE monitor within 30 days of completion.
National Pharmacy Technician Association (NPTA) is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education as a provider of continuing education.
Biologix Solutions LLC is approved as a Joint Provider of continuing pharmacy education by NPTA. Approval
Disclaimers: Elvia Sellountos has no actual or potential conflict of interest in relation to this program. This program received no commercial support and has been peer-reviewed to ensure non-commercialization.
Cancellation / Refund Policy: By completing your purchase from Biologix Solutions LLC through PayPal, you agree that you are purchasing digital, non-tangible product / service / training courses, and as such are not entitled to a refund once accessed. If you have any questions, please feel to contact us by phone or email before purchasing online course.