The focus of this course is to provide some insight on the most prevalent mental illnesses and offer a guide to help pharmacists and technicians deliver mental health first aid to their patients. By recognizing mental illness, helping refer patients to the proper mental healthcare professional, monitoring for drug efficacy and providing mental health education, a pharmacist can make a significant impact on mental health in their community.
Upon completion of this course (Mental Health Awareness in the Pharmacy), pharmacists and pharmacy technicians will be able to:
- Define what is meant by mental health.
- Describe the importance of mental health awareness to mental illness.
- Recognize the serious harm with stereotyping and ignoring mental illness.
- List the most prevalent mental disorders in the United States according to the National Institute of Health (NIH).
- Identify the signs and symptoms of the most common mental disorders.
- Discuss the treatment options for the most prevalent mental health disorders.
- Describe the general warning signs of declining mental health.
- Explain tools and action plans designed to help identify and approach those with diminishing mental health.
- Describe what is Mental Health First Aid.
- Identify the role of the pharmacist in Mental Health First Aid.
- Define ALGEE, the Mental Health First Aid Action Plan.
- Recognize what the pharmacy team can do in support of Mental Health.
- List the type of mental health professionals and mental facilities available for patient referral.
- List mental health organizations accessible for help.
- Discuss strategies for the management of psychotropic pharmacotherapy.
- Name the different ways a pharmacist can participate in Mental Health Awareness.
- Review the expectations for a Mental Health First Aid responder.
Author: Elvia Sellountos, Pharm D, RPh
Contact Hours: 3 Hours
Activity Type: Knowledge-Based Home Study
Instructional Methods: Online Independent Self-Study (Training + Post-Test)
Target Audience: Pharmacists & Pharmacy Technicians
Cost: $20 / Participant
Course No: Pharmacist: 0384-9999-21-103-H04-P Technicians: 0384-9999-21-103-H04-T
Release Date: 05/03/2021 Expiration Date: 05/03/2024
Course Completion Certificate: A minimum passing score of 70% is required for course completion. A Printable (PDF) Certificate By Email. Credit will be reported to CPE monitor within 30 days of completion.
National Pharmacy Technician Association (NPTA) is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education as a provider of continuing education.
Biologix Solutions LLC is approved as a Joint Provider of continuing pharmacy education by NPTA. Approval
Disclaimers: Mr. Phillip has no actual or potential conflict of interest in relation to this program. This program received no commercial support and has been peer-reviewed to ensure non-commercialization.
Cancellation / Refund Policy: By completing your purchase from Biologix Solutions LLC through PayPal, you agree that you are purchasing digital, non-tangible product / service / training courses, and as such are not entitled to a refund once accessed. If you have any questions, please feel to contact us by phone or email before purchasing online course.
Texas: Fulfills Mandatory 1 Hour Requirement – MENTAL HEALTH AWARENESS – NEW 295.8(d)(1)(D) – Renewals received after August 31, 2021 and before September 1, 2023