Metabolic syndrome (MS) comprises many risk factors, including—but not limited to—high blood sugar, hypertension, and dyslipidemia, the incidences of which are continuing to rise in the United States. It is important for pharmacists to be familiar with the various components of metabolic syndrome so that they can perform appropriate screenings in at-risk patients and encourage therapeutic lifestyle changes. Pharmacists can also make drug-therapy recommendations to help prevent further complications associated with metabolic syndrome.
Upon completion of this course, pharmacists and pharmacy technicians will be able to:
- List the criteria for the clinical diagnosis of metabolic syndrome
- List the risk factors for developing metabolic syndrome
- Recognize the etiologic factors that are correlated with metabolic syndrome
- List the diseases that are commonly associated with metabolic syndrome
- Counsel a patient on the non-pharmacological treatment for metabolic syndrome
- Recognize the pharmacological parameters for managing a patient on anti-obesity medications as indicated for metabolic syndrome
- Recognize the pharmacological parameters for managing a patient on lipid lowering medications as indicated for MS
- Explain the role of the renin angiotensin system inhibitors in patients with hypertension who have metabolic syndrome
- Recognize the clinical significance of how the different diabetic agents are beneficial in metabolic syndrome
- Recognize the pharmacological parameters for managing a patient on specific diabetic medications as indicated for MS
- Recognize why Cilostazol is beneficial in MS
- Recognize the pharmacological parameters for managing a patient on Cilostazol as indicated for MS
- List the long-term consequences of MS
Author: Stacey Schneider, Pharm D
Contact Hours: 3 Hours
Activity Type: Knowledge-Based Home Study
Instructional Methods: Online Independent Self-Study (Training + Post-Test)
Target Audience: Pharmacists & Pharmacy Technicians
Cost: $20 / Participant
Course No: Pharmacist: 0384-9999-20-103-H01-P Technicians: 0384-9999-20-103-H01-T
Release Date: 07/22/2020 Expiration Date: 07/22/2023
Course Completion Certificate: A minimum passing score of 70% is required for course completion. A Printable (PDF) Certificate By Email. Credit will be reported to CPE monitor within 30 days of completion.
National Pharmacy Technician Association (NPTA) is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education as a provider of continuing education.
Biologix Solutions LLC is approved as a Joint Provider of continuing pharmacy education by NPTA. Approval
Disclaimers: Ms. Schneider has no actual or potential conflict of interest in relation to this program. This program received no commercial support and has been peer-reviewed to ensure non-commercialization.
Cancellation / Refund Policy: By completing your purchase from Biologix Solutions LLC through PayPal, you agree that you are purchasing digital, non-tangible product / service / training courses, and as such are not entitled to a refund once accessed. If you have any questions, please feel to contact us by phone or email before purchasing online course.