This course will provide an overview of the pathophysiology of migraines, risk factors associated with development, symptoms of episodic and chronic migraine, and pharmacologic and non-pharmacologic management of these conditions.
Upon completion of this course, participant will be able to:
- Discuss the epidemiology of migraine, including its prevalence, cost, and probability of episodic transformation to chronic migraine.
- Review the pathophysiology of episodic and chronic migraine.
- Categorize migraines and distinguish them from other headache types, such as tension, sinus, and cluster headaches.
Recognize the risk factors for migraine development, sequential presentation of migraine, concomitant symptoms, and the characteristics of aura.
- Identify common triggers that can precipitate migraine attacks.
- Define the ICHD-3 criteria for episodic +/- aura and chronic migraines, as well as medication-overuse headache.
Assess a patient presenting with migraine based on nature, onset, duration, and severity of symptoms, possible triggers, and tried therapies.
- Discuss available pharmacologic treatments for acute and chronic migraines including treatment goals, cautions, and side effects.
- Communicate the steps in relieving medication-overuse headache.
- Acknowledge the importance of patient understanding in preventative trials, emphasizing therapy length for effect, adherence, and follow-up.
- Describe complementary and novel therapies and their places in management of migraine.
- Consider therapy management variations in children, pregnant patients, and the elderly.
- List lifestyle and non-pharmacologic options that pharmacists can recommend in self-treatment of migraine along with ways in which their particular healthcare settings can impact therapy.
Contact Hours : 3 Hours
Course Fee: $15 / Participant
Author: Alyssa Yousif, PharmD
Target Audience: Nursing Healthcare Professionals
Instructional Methods: Online Independent Self-Study (Training + Post-Test). A minimum passing score of 70% is required for course completion. A Printable (Pdf) Certificate By Email.
Cancellation / Refund Policy: By completing your purchase from Biologix Solutions LLC through PayPal, you agree that you are purchasing digital, non-tangible product / service / training courses, and as such are not entitled to a refund once accessed. If you have any questions, please feel to contact us by phone or email before purchasing online course.
Approvals: Biologix Solutions LLC is a nationally approved provider of online continuing education and state mandated compliance training for healthcare (Dental, Pharmacy, Nursing, Physical Therapy, Occupational Therapy, Massage Therapy, and Body Art Professionals), and non-healthcare professionals needing to fulfill their mandatory training and continuing education hours to obtain or maintain state/local license. Please visit our approval sections (Click Here) for the full list of approvals across all disciplines.