This course will provide an overview of the pathophysiology of migraines, risk factors associated with development, symptoms of episodic and chronic migraine, and pharmacologic and non-pharmacologic management of these conditions.
Upon completion of this course (Migraine Headache Treatment and Management), pharmacists and pharmacy technicians will be able to:
- Discuss the epidemiology of migraine, including its prevalence, cost, and probability of episodic transformation to chronic migraine.
- Review the pathophysiology of episodic and chronic migraine.
- Categorize migraines and distinguish them from other headache types, such as tension, sinus, and cluster headaches.
- Recognize the risk factors for migraine development, sequential presentation of migraine, concomitant symptoms, and the characteristics of aura.
- Identify common triggers that can precipitate migraine attacks.
- Define the ICHD-3 criteria for episodic +/- aura and chronic migraines, as well as medication-overuse headache.
- Assess a patient presenting with migraine based on nature, onset, duration, and severity of symptoms, possible triggers, and tried therapies.
- Discuss available pharmacologic treatments for acute and chronic migraines including treatment goals, cautions, and side effects.
- Communicate the steps in relieving medication-overuse headache.
- Acknowledge the importance of patient understanding in preventative trials, emphasizing therapy length for effect, adherence, and follow-up.
- Describe complementary and novel therapies and their places in management of migraine.
- Consider therapy management variations in children, pregnant patients, and the elderly.
Author: Alyssa Yousif, PharmD
Contact Hours: 3 Hours
Activity Type: Knowledge-Based Home Study
Instructional Methods: Online Independent Self-Study (Training + Post-Test)
Target Audience: Pharmacists & Pharmacy Technicians
Cost: $20 / Participant
UAN: Pharmacist: 0384-9999-22-2201-H01-P Technicians: 0384-9999-22-2201-H01-T
Release Date: 1/31/2022 Expiration Date: 1/31/2025
Course Completion Certificate: A minimum passing score of 70% is required for course completion. A Printable (PDF) Certificate By Email. Credit will be reported to CPE monitor within 30 days of completion.
National Pharmacy Technician Association (NPTA) is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education as a provider of continuing education.
Biologix Solutions LLC is approved as a Joint Provider of continuing pharmacy education by NPTA. Approval
Disclaimers: Elvia Sellountos has no actual or potential conflict of interest in relation to this program. This program received no commercial support and has been peer-reviewed to ensure non-commercialization.
Cancellation / Refund Policy: By completing your purchase from Biologix Solutions LLC through PayPal, you agree that you are purchasing digital, non-tangible product / service / training courses, and as such are not entitled to a refund once accessed. If you have any questions, please feel to contact us by phone or email before purchasing online course.