This Opioids in Dental Practice continuing education program outlines opioid prescribing principles for general dentists and dental specialists with emphasis on the safe and competent use of opioids for managing acute moderate to severe dental pain. The course provides most current information on minimizing opioid abuse through patient education, careful patient assessment and screen patients for substance use disorders when indicated, and using tools such as prescription monitoring programs.
Upon completion of this course, you will be able to learn:
- Discuss the epidemiology and the genesis of the opioid crisis
- Review trends in opioid prescribing by specialties
- Describe the types of opioids and their pharmacokinetics
- Describe the effect of opioid pain medications on body & brain
- Practice safe and competent opioid prescribing for acute pain
- List commonly prescribed opioid and NSAIDs in dentistry and their side effects
- Recognize opioid tolerance and withdrawals symptoms
- Discuss pharmacologic agents used to treat opioid disorder (opioid antagonists)
- Discuss the risks of abuse and addiction associated with opioid medication
- Identify the sources of misused prescription opioids
- Understand the current evidence-based consensus recommendations and guidelines on the use of opioids in dental practice
- Evaluate patients’ risk factors and treatment needs based upon individualized patient needs and overall substance abuse risk.
- Discuss the Prescription Drug Monitoring Programs (PDMPs) and Impact of a mandatory PDMP on prescription opioid analgesics by dentists
Contact Hours : 3 Hours Course Fee: $30 / Participant
Author: Jennifer A. Gershman, Ph. D (Dr. Gershman’s has co-authored a number of articles and books dealing with a variety of topics within the field of pharmacology. Other areas of expertise include the pharmacology of street drugs and chemical dependency.)
AGD PACE Subject Code: 132 – Anesthesia and Pain Control
Teaching Method: Online Independent Self-Study Course (Training + Post-Test). Requires Computer & Internet.
Course Completion Certificate : A Printable (Pdf) Certificate By Email.
Target Audience: Dentists, Dental Hygienists, and Dental Assistants.
Provider/Author Disclosure: Biologix Solutions LLC does not have a commercial interest in any products or services discussed or shared in this educational activity nor with the commercial supporter. No manufacturer or third party has had any input into the development of course content.
AGD PACE Approval: Biologix Solutions LLC is designated as an Approved PACE Program Provider by the Academy of General Dentistry. The formal continuing dental education programs of this program provider are accepted by AGD for Fellowship, Mastership, and membership maintenance credit. Approval does not imply acceptance by a state or provincial board of dentistry or AGD endorsement. The current term of approval extends from 5/1/2013 to 4/30/2021. Provider ID: 352738.
Cancellation / Refund Policy: By completing your purchase from Biologix Solutions LLC through PayPal, you agree that you are purchasing digital, non-tangible product / service / training courses, and as such are not entitled to a refund once accessed. If you have any questions, please feel to contact us by phone or email before purchasing online course.
Biologix Solutions LLC is a nationally approved provider of online continuing education for all healthcare and on-healthcare professionals. Please visit https://blxtraining.com/accreditations/ for full list of approvals.
AGD PACE Reporting: Within 24 Hours of Completion.