Pain Management for Pharmacy Professionals program will cover general principles of pain management, including universal pain scales, the pathophysiology of various classifications of pain, and both non-pharmacologic and pharmacologic treatment options. The presenter will focus on opioids for the treatment of pain and will include classes of opioids, adverse drug effects and monitoring parameters that are specific to opioid use. With opioids’ reputation for becoming addictive, the potential for tolerance and dependence will also be covered.
Upon completion of this course (Pain Management for Pharmacy Professionals), pharmacists and pharmacy technicians will be able to:
- Discuss the pathophysiology, classifications, and characteristic types of pain.
- Discuss realistic and obtainable goals of pain management therapy.
- Discuss available assessment tools.
- Utilize multimodal analgesia to select an appropriate pain regimen.
- Describe risks and benefits of first-line treatments to chronic pain.
- Identify non-opioid medications for various types of chronic pain.
- Identify non-pharmacologic treatment options for various types of chronic pain.
- Discuss the pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic properties of analgesics.
- List newly approved analgesic drugs and their drug class.
- Convert between different opioid-containing formulations and recommend appropriate dosing.
- Discuss effective strategies for appropriate opioid use, adverse effects, and proper disposal.
Author: Thao K. Huynh PharmD BCOP
Contact Hours: 2 Hours
Activity Type: Knowledge-Based Home Study
Instructional Methods: Online Independent Self-Study (Training + Post-Test)
Target Audience: Pharmacists & Pharmacy Technicians
Cost: $15 / Participant
Course No: Pharmacist: 0384-9999-20-108-H08-P Technicians: 0384-9999-20-108-H08-T
Release Date: 09/14/2020 Expiration Date: 09/14/2023
Course Completion Certificate: A minimum passing score of 70% is required for course completion. A Printable (PDF) Certificate By Email. Credit will be reported to CPE monitor within 30 days of completion.
National Pharmacy Technician Association (NPTA) is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education as a provider of continuing education.
Biologix Solutions LLC is approved as a Joint Provider of continuing pharmacy education by NPTA. Approval
Disclaimers: Mr. Phillip has no actual or potential conflict of interest in relation to this program. This program received no commercial support and has been peer-reviewed to ensure non-commercialization. Cancellation / Refund Policy: By completing your purchase from Biologix Solutions LLC through PayPal, you agree that you are purchasing digital, non-tangible product / service / training courses, and as such are not entitled to a refund once accessed. If you have any questions, please feel to contact us by phone or email before purchasing online course.
Michigan: Fulfills mandatory one hour of pain and symptom management CPE credit. Texas: Fulfills mandatory PAIN MANAGEMENT – NEW (Legislatively Mandated) 295.8(d)(1)(B). Hours Per Renewal Period: 1 hour annually; 2 total. Date(s) Required: Renewals received after August 31, 2021 and before September 1, 2023.