This continuing education course (Pain Management in Dentistry – Prescribing Controlled Substances) is intended to provide dental healthcare professionals with evidence based information on use of analgesics in pain management in dental settings for treatment of acute and chronic pain conditions and related problems. Role of dental professionals in reducing prescription drug abuse and management of controlled substances in dental practice with the reclassification of opioid products requiring monitoring and control over prescriptions, prescribers and dispensers.
Upon completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Review pain definitions and mechanisms.
- Differentiate acute versus chronic pain.
- Understand the delivery of anesthetic and the management of post procedural pain.
- Review methods of pain control in dentistry.
- Recognize the warnings and precautions for analgesic medications.
- List non-pharmacological methods of addressing pain.
- Review the management of pain in special populations.
- Review the proper dosages for analgesic medications for adult and pediatric patients.
- Review drugs and other substances that are considered Schedule II/IIN Controlled Substances 2/2N under the Controlled Substances Act (CSA).
- Review regulatory requirements for prescribers and dispensers in terms of record keeping requirements for prescribing, dispensing and storage of controlled substances (Schedule II/IIN Controlled Substances 2/2N).
- Discuss how to minimize diversion and abuse of controlled substances by patients and dental office staff.
- Review dental office procedures for managing vulnerable or substance use disorder patients.
Contact Hours : 3 (Three)
Fee: $30 / Participant (Group discount available for > 5 participant)
Authors: Jennifer A. Gershman, Pharm.D, and James Kyle Vick D.D.S, M.S.
AGD PACE Subject Code: 132 – Anesthesia and Pain Control (Pain Management in Dentistry)
Teaching Method: Online Independent Self-Study Course (Training + Post-Test). Requires Computer & Internet.
Course Completion Certificate : A Printable (Pdf) Certificate By Email.
Target Audience: Dentists, Dental Hygienists, and Dental Assistants.
Provider/Author Disclosure: Biologix Solutions LLC does not have a commercial interest in any products or services discussed or shared in this educational activity nor with the commercial supporter. No manufacturer or third party has had any input into the development of course content.
Biologix Solutions LLC – Nationally Approved PACE Program Provider for FAGD/MAGD credit. Approval does not imply acceptance by any regulatory authority or AGD endorsement. 4/20/2013 to 4/30/2025. Provider ID# 352738
Cancellation / Refund Policy: By completing your purchase from Biologix Solutions LLC through PayPal, you agree that you are purchasing digital, non-tangible product / service / training courses, and as such are not entitled to a refund once accessed. If you have any questions, please feel to contact us by phone or email before purchasing online course. Biologix Solutions LLC is a nationally approved provider of online continuing education for all healthcare and on-healthcare professionals. Please visit https://blxtraining.com/accreditations/ for full list of approvals.
AGD PACE / CE Broker Reporting: Within 24 Hours of Completion. Fulfills Mandatory Requirements For: Arizona, Connecticut, Kentucky, Massachusetts, Michigan, New Mexico, North Carolina, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Texas and Other States.