Increased prescription of opioid medications led to widespread misuse of both prescription and non-prescription opioids before it became clear that these medications could indeed be highly addictive. Pharmacists can directly impact opioid abuse by providing education to both patients and providers, serving as members of interdisciplinary teams treating those with pain and/or dependence, assisting with prescription drug monitoring and urine drug screening, and advocating for their patients.
Upon completion of this course, pharmacists and pharmacy technicians will be able to:
- Understand epidemiology and the genesis of the opioid crisis.
- Discuss trends in opioid prescribing by specialties.
- List the types of opioids and their pharmacokinetics.
- Describe the effect of opioid pain medications on body & brain.
- Describe definitions of terms related to opioid abuse and misuse.
- Discuss commonly prescribed opioid and their side effects.
- Discuss opioid tolerance and withdrawals symptoms.
- Discuss pharmacologic agents used to treat opioid disorder (opioid antagonists.)
- Describe the risks of abuse and addiction associated with opioid medication.
- List the sources of misused prescription opioids.
- Discuss risk assessment tools for substance abuse.
- Review Prescription drug monitoring programs (PDMPs) and impact of a mandatory PDMP on prescription opioid analgesics.
- Discuss pharmacist’s role in preventing opioid abuse through a systematic approach to recognizing and resolving red flags.
Authors: Gregory Phillip, Pharm. D
Contact Hours: 3 Hours
Activity Type: Knowledge-Based Home Study
Instructional Methods: Online Independent Self-Study (Training + Post-Test)
Target Audience: Pharmacists & Pharmacy Technicians
Cost: $15 / Participant
UAN: Pharmacist: 0384-9999-19-111-H08-P Technicians: 0384-9999-19-111-H08-T
Release Date: 08/16/2019 Expiration Date: 08/16/2022
Course Completion Certificate: A minimum passing score of 70% is required for course completion. A Printable (PDF) Certificate By Email. Credit will be reported to CPE monitor within 30 days of completion.
National Pharmacy Technician Association (NPTA) is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education as a provider of continuing education.
Biologix Solutions LLC is approved as a Joint Provider of continuing pharmacy education by NPTA. Approval
Disclaimers: Mr. Phillip has no actual or potential conflict of interest in relation to this program. This program received no commercial support and has been peer-reviewed to ensure non-commercialization.
Cancellation / Refund Policy: By completing your purchase from Biologix Solutions LLC through PayPal, you agree that you are purchasing digital, non-tangible product / service / training courses, and as such are not entitled to a refund once accessed. If you have any questions, please feel to contact us by phone or email before purchasing online course.
Mandatory For: Delaware, Michigan, Mississippi, New Jersey, New Mexico, Pennsylvania