As of 2006 all Pharmacies are required to have a Fraud Waste and Abuse (FWA) Program in place as part of their overall Pharmacy Regulatory Compliance. With prescription drug abuse and fraud at an all time high in the U.S. it is imperative to make certain your Pharmacy is fully compliant. The purpose behind this FWA training is to better detect and report fraud, waste and abuse in the health care industry.
Upon completion of this course (Preventing Fraud, Waste and Abuse in the Pharmacy), pharmacists and pharmacy technicians will be able to:
- Describe the role of the Centers for Medicare/Medicaid Services (CMS).
- Define CMS Medicare/Medicaid Fraud, Waste and Abuse (FWA).
- Describe specific examples of FWA in the pharmacy.
- Identify the prominent government agencies responsible for combatting FWA.
- Discuss the continued efforts of regulatory agencies to reduce fraud, waste, and abuse.
- Identify the major laws and regulations addressing FWA such as, Medicare regulations on Part C & D, HIPAA, the False Claims Act, the Anti-Kickback Statue, and others.
- Recognize conditions for participation in government funded programs for health providers.
- Define terms associated with FWA compliance like First tier, Downstream and Related entity.
- List the seven elements required for an approved compliance program.
- Recognize the consequences for non-compliance of program requirements.
- Identify FWA reporting procedures and reporting sites.
- Recognize protections under the Whistleblower Protection Act and the False Claims Act.
- List disciplinary actions and penalties for FWA violations.
- Explain the Exclusion List and the consequences of being on it.
- Identify record retention and attestation requirements for FWA compliance auditing.
- Identify other forms of health care fraud, waste, and abuse.
- List specific actions a pharmacist can take to prevent, identify, and correct FWA.
Author: Elvia Sellountos, Pharm D, RPh
Contact Hours: 3 Hours
Activity Type: Knowledge-Based Home Study
Instructional Methods: Online Independent Self-Study (Training + Post-Test)
Target Audience: Pharmacists & Pharmacy Technicians
Cost: $20 / Participant
Course No: Pharmacist: 0384-9999-21-102-H03-P Technicians: 0384-9999-21-102-H03-T
Release Date: 04/14/2021 Expiration Date: 04/14/2024
Course Completion Certificate: A minimum passing score of 70% is required for course completion. A Printable (PDF) Certificate By Email. Credit will be reported to CPE monitor within 30 days of completion.
National Pharmacy Technician Association (NPTA) is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education as a provider of continuing education.
Biologix Solutions LLC is approved as a Joint Provider of continuing pharmacy education by NPTA. Approval
Disclaimers: Mr. Phillip has no actual or potential conflict of interest in relation to this program. This program received no commercial support and has been peer-reviewed to ensure non-commercialization.
Cancellation / Refund Policy: By completing your purchase from Biologix Solutions LLC through PayPal, you agree that you are purchasing digital, non-tangible product / service / training courses, and as such are not entitled to a refund once accessed. If you have any questions, please feel to contact us by phone or email before purchasing online course.