The goal of this course (Proper Prescribing and Disposal of Prescription Medications) is to articulate and inform licensees about the Maryland State Board of Dental Examiners requirements (COMAR 10.44.22) and to address the role that dental practitioners play in preventing prescription drug abuse.
Upon completion of this course, you will be able to learn:
- Proper prescribing guidelines for Dentists
- Writing prescriptions, handling requests for medication refills
- Patient evaluation
- Tips for reducing errors
- Electronic Prescription
- Prescription Errors and legal consequences
- Review of DEA schedule of controlled substances
- Prevalence of misuse and abuse of prescription medications and controlled substances
- Dentists role in the identification of prescription abuse
- The most commonly abused prescribed drugs
- Opioid dependency and educating patients when prescribing
- Alternatives to opioid therapy for treating patients experiencing pain
- Prescribing for non-patients or family members without a documented history of treatment
- Prescribing for non-dental purposes
- Recognizing the dependent patients and the “doctor shoppers”
- Self-prescribing and diversion
- Availability of support services for dependent practitioners
- Safeguarding prescription pads and the use of electronic prescribing
- Best practices for appropriate handling and disposal of medications and controlled substances
- Maryland’s Controlled Dangerous Substance (CDS) Regulations, and Maryland specific laws for disposal, reuse and recycle of prescription medications
- Enforcement of Criminal Law Title 5 in Maryland
Contact Hours : 2 (Two) | Fee: $30 / Participant
Author: James Kyle Vick D.D.S, M.S. & Jennifer Gershman, Pharm.D. , B.S
AGD PACE Subject Code: 134 – Prescription Medication Management (Proper Prescribing and Disposal of Prescription Medications)
Maryland State Board of Dental Examiners: Approval
Teaching Method: Online Independent Self-Study Course (Training + Post-Test). Requires Computer & Internet.
Course Completion Certificate : A Printable (Pdf) Certificate By Email.
Target Audience: Dentists, Dental Hygienists, and Dental Assistants.
Provider/Author Disclosure: Biologix Solutions LLC does not have a commercial interest in any products or services discussed or shared in this educational activity nor with the commercial supporter. No manufacturer or third party has had any input into the development of course content.
Biologix Solutions LLC – Nationally Approved PACE Program Provider for FAGD/MAGD credit. Approval does not imply acceptance by any regulatory authority or AGD endorsement. 4/20/2013 to 4/30/2025. Provider ID# 352738
Cancellation / Refund Policy: By completing your purchase from Biologix Solutions LLC through PayPal, you agree that you are purchasing digital, non-tangible product / service / training courses, and as such are not entitled to a refund once accessed. If you have any questions, please feel to contact us by phone or email before purchasing online course.
Biologix Solutions LLC is a nationally approved provider of online continuing education for all healthcare and on-healthcare professionals. Please visit https://blxtraining.com/accreditations/ for full list of approvals.
AGD PACE / CE Broker Reporting: Within 24 Hours of Completion.