Responsibilities and Requirements of Prescribing Schedule II Opioid Drugs (California Mandatory Prescribing Schedule II opioids / Mandated Opioid Prescribing for Dentists)
California Course ID: 02-5003-22053 (Dental Board of California Approved)
Dental Board of California Approved Provider – RP 5003
Effective January 1, 2023, dentists must complete a Board-approved course on the responsibilities and requirements of prescribing Schedule II opioids. (CCR, tit. 16, § 1016, subs. (b)(1)(D).)
The opioid prescribing for dentists course is designed to help California dental professionals understand their new regulatory responsibilities and requirements for prescribing schedule II opioid drugs in terms of requirements for prescription forms, dispensing, reporting requirements to the Controlled Substance Utilization Review and Evaluation System (CURES). This program is designed to assist dentists in their treatment of patients with acute dental pain, using non-opioid and opioid analgesics as appropriate, and early identification of drug abuse and mitigating the associated risks of adverse oral effects.
- Review pain definitions and mechanisms.
- Differentiate acute versus chronic pain.
- Understand the delivery of anesthetic and the management of post procedural pain.
- Review practices for pain management in dentistry.
- Recognize the warnings and precautions for analgesic medications.
- List non-pharmacological methods of addressing pain.
- Review the management of pain in special populations.
- Review the proper dosages for analgesic medications for adult and pediatric patients.
- Review drugs and other substances that are considered Schedule II/IIN Controlled Substances 2/2N (Schedule II Opioid Drugs) under the Controlled Substances Act (CSA).
- Review California regulatory requirements (Responsibilities and Requirements of Prescribing Schedule II Opioid Drugs) for prescribers and dispensers in terms of requirements for prescription forms, dispensing, reporting requirements to the Controlled Substance Utilization Review and Evaluation System (CURES).
- Discuss how to minimize diversion and abuse of controlled substances by patients and dental office staff.
- Review dental office procedures for managing vulnerable or substance use disorder patients.
Contact Hours : 2 CE Units (California Mandated Opioid Prescribing for Dentists)
Fee: $20 /Participant
Author: Dr. James Kyle Vick D.D.S, M.S.
AGD PACE Subject Code: 340 Anesthesia and Pain Management (Schedule II Opioid Drugs / Controlled Substances)
Teaching Method: Online Independent Self-Study Course (Training + Post-Test). Requires Computer & Internet.
Course Completion Certificate : A Printable (Pdf) Certificate By Email.
Target Audience: Dentists, Dental Hygienists, and Dental Assistants.
Provider/Author Disclosure: Biologix Solutions LLC does not have a commercial interest in any products or services discussed or shared in this educational activity nor with the commercial supporter. No manufacturer or third party has had any input into the development of course content.
Biologix Solutions LLC – Nationally Approved PACE Program Provider for FAGD/MAGD credit. Approval does not imply acceptance by any regulatory authority or AGD endorsement. 4/20/2013 to 4/30/2025. Provider ID# 352738
Cancellation / Refund Policy: By completing your purchase from Biologix Solutions LLC through PayPal, you agree that you are purchasing digital, non-tangible product / service / training courses, and as such are not entitled to a refund once accessed. If you have any questions, please feel to contact us by phone or email before purchasing online course. Biologix Solutions LLC is a nationally approved provider of online continuing education for all healthcare and on-healthcare professionals. Please visit https://blxtraining.com/accreditations/ for full list of approvals.
AGD PACE Reporting: Within 24 Hours of Completion.