With the rising elderly population and comorbid conditions, the prevalence of polypharmacy has significantly increased. This activity describes the evaluation and identification of polypharmacy and highlights the role of the interprofessional team in the management.
Upon completion of this course, pharmacists and pharmacy technicians will be able to:
- Review how polypharmacy becomes a problem in elderly patient populations.
- Review the prevalence of polypharmacy in older adults.
- Discuss patient and system-related factors that contribute to polypharmacy.
- Discuss the consequences of polypharmacy
- Identify medications which should be used carefully in elderly populations.
- Discuss Steps to identify and deprescribe the medications posing more harm than benefit.
- Summarize the possible strategies to reduce polypharmacy.
- Implement the available screening tools to identify and assess the safety of polypharmacy
- Outline how an interprofessional team can coordinate managing polypharmacy and deprescribe medications if needed.
Author: Philip Gregory Pharm D
Contact Hours: 2 Hours
Activity Type: Knowledge-Based Home Study
Instructional Methods: Online Independent Self-Study (Training + Post-Test)
Target Audience: Pharmacists & Pharmacy Technicians
Cost: $15 / Participant
UAN: Pharmacist: 0384-9999-23-008-H04-P Technicians: 0384-9999-23-008-H04-T
Release Date: 03/09/2023 Expiration Date: 03/09/2026
Course Completion Certificate: A minimum passing score of 70% is required for course completion. A Printable (PDF) Certificate By Email. Credit will be reported to CPE monitor within 30 days of completion.
National Pharmacy Technician Association (NPTA) is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education as a provider of continuing education.
Biologix Solutions LLC is approved as a Joint Provider of continuing pharmacy education by NPTA. Approval
Disclaimers: Philip Gregory has no actual or potential conflict of interest in relation to this program. This program received no commercial support and has been peer-reviewed to ensure non-commercialization.
Cancellation / Refund Policy: By completing your purchase from Biologix Solutions LLC through PayPal, you agree that you are purchasing digital, non-tangible product / service / training courses, and as such are not entitled to a refund once accessed. If you have any questions, please feel to contact us by phone or email before purchasing online course.