Tobacco use is the most common preventable cause of disease, disability, and death in the United States. Tobacco harms nearly every organ in the body and causes perinatal risks. Dependence develops due to the addictive content, nicotine, which also increases health risks. Multiple quit attempts over time are often needed to achieve long-term tobacco abstinence. There are effective treatments that support tobacco cessation, including both behavioral therapies and FDA-approved medications. This program teaches practitioners how to implement comprehensive (5’A’s: Ask-Advise-Assess-Assist-Arrange) and brief (Ask-Advise-Refer) tobacco cessation interventions, incorporating behavioral counseling strategies in combination with one or more FDA-approved medications for cessation.
Upon completion of this course, pharmacists and pharmacy technicians will be able to:
- Discuss risks associated with tobacco use, including, but not limited to lung cancer, cardiovascular and respiratory disease, surgical complications, perinatal harm, and mortality.
- Explain tobacco dependence, including the factors that influence and increase risk for dependence.
- Highlight the impact of nicotine withdrawal in tobacco dependence.
- Note challenges associated with mental health conditions in tobacco dependence.
- Relay the impact of e-cigarettes on youth.
- Outline advantages and disadvantages of tobacco harm reduction.
- List goals of tobacco cessation.
- Evaluate tobacco use and level of dependence.
- Give prominence to the benefits of tobacco cessation.
- Detail behavioral support for tobacco cessation.
- State the pros and cons of the various medications for tobacco cessation.
- Distinguish over-the-counter and prescription options for tobacco cessation.
- Provide dosing and instructions for nicotine replacement therapy agents.
- Review non-pharmacological strategies for tobacco cessation.
- Identify various other strategies for tobacco cessation, such as weaning, preloading pharmacotherapy, combining pharmacotherapy, and referral to specialists.
- Emphasize the efficacy of combining behavioral support with pharmacotherapy for tobacco cessation.
- Given a patient case, propose a treatment plan and timeline for tobacco smoking cessation that includes behavioral interventions, nicotine replacement therapy, and follow-up plan.
- Describe the chronic nature of tobacco cessation including potential challenges.
- Utilize different methods for managing lapses and relapses and encouraging patients along the continuum of tobacco cessation.
- Address comprehensive care needs for patients who use or have a history of tobacco use.
- Identify areas of practice which would benefit from implementation of tobacco cessation programs.
Author: Jennifer Kim, PharmD, BCPS, BCACP, BC-ADM
Contact Hours: 4 Hours
Activity Type: Knowledge-Based Home Study
Instructional Methods: Online Independent Self-Study (Training + Post-Test)
Target Audience: Pharmacists & Pharmacy Technicians
Cost: $20 / Participant
UAN: Pharmacist: 0384-9999-23-024-H01-P Technicians: 0384-9999-23-024-H01-T
Release Date: 06/27/2023 Expiration Date: 06/27/2026
Course Completion Certificate: A minimum passing score of 70% is required for course completion. A Printable (PDF) Certificate By Email. Credit will be reported to CPE monitor within 30 days of completion.
National Pharmacy Technician Association (NPTA) is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education as a provider of continuing education.
Biologix Solutions LLC is approved as a Joint Provider of continuing pharmacy education by NPTA. Approval
Disclaimers: Philip Gregory has no actual or potential conflict of interest in relation to this program. This program received no commercial support and has been peer-reviewed to ensure non-commercialization.
Cancellation / Refund Policy: By completing your purchase from Biologix Solutions LLC through PayPal, you agree that you are purchasing digital, non-tangible product / service / training courses, and as such are not entitled to a refund once accessed. If you have any questions, please feel to contact us by phone or email before purchasing online course.