Travel Medicine and Infectious Diseases – With international travel increasing in past decades, pharmacists should be informed and stay up-to-date on the most pertinent travel-health information available. Preventive measures including prescriptions and other non-pharmacologic therapies are available to reduce the risk of acquiring an infectious disease while traveling internationally. Pharmacists in the community may be the last line of medication information and counseling available to the patient before travel, and they may be asked for recommendations about medications and OTC products to prevent travel-related illnesses such as traveler’s diarrhea, cholera, typhoid fever, malaria, and Zika.
Upon completion of this course (Travel Medicine and Infectious Diseases), pharmacists and pharmacy technicians will be able to:
- Recognize the difference between routine, required, and recommended vaccines.
- List the vaccine preventable diseases and their respective vaccines.
- List the three types of travel health notices.
- List the steps necessary to prevent and treat travelers’ diarrhea.
- Counsel the traveler on obtaining the appropriate travel health insurance and medical evacuation insurance.
- Recommend mosquito, rabies and tick prevention techniques.
- List the specific infectious diseases including information on the signs and symptoms of the disease, who is at risk for contracting the infectious disease and specific prevention tips.
- Advise a pregnant female on various safety methods for preventing infectious diseases related to foreign travel.
- Assess a traveler who has returned to the United States who presents with a fever, diarrhea, dermatologic changes or other related symptoms that may be correlated with travel related infectious diseases.
- List the recommendations for screening asymptomatic returning travelers.
Author: Stacey Schneider, Pharm D
Contact Hours: 4 Hours
Activity Type: Knowledge-Based Home Study
Instructional Methods: Online Independent Self-Study (Training + Post-Test)
Target Audience: Pharmacists & Pharmacy Technicians
Cost: $16 / Participant
Course No: Pharmacist: 0384-9999-20-102-H01-P Technicians: 0384-9999-20-102-H01-T
Release Date: 06/15/20 Expiration Date: 06/15/23
Course Completion Certificate: A minimum passing score of 70% is required for course completion. A Printable (PDF) Certificate By Email. Credit will be reported to CPE monitor within 30 days of completion.
National Pharmacy Technician Association (NPTA) is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education as a provider of continuing education.
Biologix Solutions LLC is approved as a Joint Provider of continuing pharmacy education by NPTA. Approval
Disclaimers: Mr. Phillip has no actual or potential conflict of interest in relation to this program. This program received no commercial support and has been peer-reviewed to ensure non-commercialization.
Cancellation / Refund Policy: By completing your purchase from Biologix Solutions LLC through PayPal, you agree that you are purchasing digital, non-tangible product / service / training courses, and as such are not entitled to a refund once accessed. If you have any questions, please feel to contact us by phone or email before purchasing online course.