The goals of Validating Prescriptions for Controlled Substances continuing education course is to ensure that valid and legitimate controlled substance medications are available for patients who legitimately need them. This course includes information to facilitate pharmacists’ use of sound professional judgment when dispensing controlled substances.
Upon completion of this course, pharmacists and pharmacy technicians will be able to:
- Describe the epidemic of substance abuse and prescription drug abuse in United States.
- Identify the responsibility of pharmacy practitioners to determine the validity of controlled substance prescriptions.
- List factors that pharmacy practitioners might consider in their assessment of a controlled substance prescription’s legitimacy.
- Describe the use of a Prescription Drug Monitoring Program (PDMP).
- Discuss the assessment of prescriptions for appropriate therapeutic value.
- Determine if prescriptions are based on a legitimate medical purpose.
- Identify the federal guidelines that impact upon distribution of controlled substances.
- Discuss the State’s Laws and rules regarding prescribing & dispensing of controlled substances.
- Counsel patients with opioid prescriptions.
- Discuss available treatment resources for opioid physical dependence, addiction, misuse, or abuse.
Author: Greg Philip, Pharm D
Contact Hours: 2 Hours
Activity Type: Knowledge-Based Home Study
Instructional Methods: Online Independent Self-Study (Training + Post-Test)
Target Audience: Pharmacists & Pharmacy Technicians
Cost: $15 / Participant
UAN: Pharmacist: 0384-9999-19-101-H03-P Technicians: 0384-9999-19-101-H03-T
Release Date: 03/18/2019 Expiration Date: 03/18/2022
Course Completion Certificate: A minimum passing score of 70% is required for course completion. A Printable (PDF) Certificate By Email. Credit will be reported to CPE monitor within 30 days of completion.
National Pharmacy Technician Association (NPTA) is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education as a provider of continuing education.
Biologix Solutions LLC is approved as a Joint Provider of continuing pharmacy education by NPTA. Approval
Disclaimers: Mr. Phillip has no actual or potential conflict of interest in relation to this program. This program received no commercial support and has been peer-reviewed to ensure non-commercialization.
Cancellation / Refund Policy: By completing your purchase from Biologix Solutions LLC through PayPal, you agree that you are purchasing digital, non-tangible product / service / training courses, and as such are not entitled to a refund once accessed. If you have any questions, please feel to contact us by phone or email before purchasing online course.
Validating Prescriptions for Controlled Substances Fulfills Mandatory Pharmacy Law CE Requirements For: Massachusetts, Michigan, Mississippi, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Ohio, Oregon, South Carolina.
Florida: Fulfills Mandatory Controlled Substances (Validating Prescriptions for Controlled Substances) – 2 Hours
Texas: PRESCRIBING AND MONITORING CONTROLLED SUBSTANCES – NEW (Legislatively Mandated) 295.8(d)(1)(C). Hours Per Renewal Period: 2 . Date(s) Required: Completed no later than September 1, 2021 and reported on the next renewal after September 1, 2021.